Wednesday 11 March 2015

Sparrow Hawk again, Tooting Bec Common, 3 Egyptian chicks still alive!

At the edge of the wood on Tooting Bec Common I spotted the sparrow hawk again this morning after a long search, very high in a beech tree, he seemed to be nursing his right leg, I hope he hasn't been injured by crows, I saw them mobbing a Bird of prey yesterday, perhaps it was him, though without my binoculars I would have guessed a kestrel.

The sparrow hawk turned to face me with small, piercing egg yellow eyes, deep black centred, he has a speckled creamy chest, the rusty speckles in neat lines, he is lithe and long, with some reddish colouration around the eyes, almost like eye shadow, pigeons whizzed away in terror when he flew across the wood to another tree, the back was a bluish grey, with some paler flecks, and a  distinctive blue tail feather that looked a bit wonky like maybe he has been knocked about a bit, yesterday the behaviour matched the reputedly male mate-attracting behaviour of diving down from a tree ostentatiously - perhaps there are both genders here? He does seem small as a male would be, according to what I've just looked up on the RSPB site, what a privilege to see this beautiful, princely, bird twice in two days.

By the pond on Tooting Bec Common I saw three, markedly bigger looking, Egyptian Geese chicks strutting around with their noisy parents, they must have been asleep on the island the other day when I feared they'd all died, what a relief ...I can't help feeling horror at the thought of them being drowned by swans, some people I met saw this happen to the other chicks...


No comments:

Post a Comment