Saturday 27 December 2014

Little Owl part 4, more Croydon Alps

At 16:16 the reliable Little Owl flew from the usual copse onto the open ground then up to a high plain tree as I have seen him do four times now, this time I also heard him make a striking "put, put , put" call, quite aggressive sounding , Peter also heard this and we wondered if it was a contact call, and if, therefore, there are two owls! It was very cold and not hard to imagine some snow coming into Streatham soon, I hope the Little Owl is hardy. I read they can use the same spot for upto 25 years.

Below, the ancient woods at the top of the common tonight, not where I've seen owls, but others have heard tawnys there over the years.



Below, page 4

The view over Covington Way towards Croydon, improved by an imaginary mountain range, subject of my recurring dreams.





No comments:

Post a Comment