Saturday 23 May 2015

Long walk round Crystal Palace: kestrel, pied wagtails, fox.

I took a Long walk round Crystal Palace today with friends, saw a kestrel hovering perfectly over the scrubland above the palace foundations, two or three pied wagtails flitting around like dragonflies near Capel Manor, baby Coots and what I think were geese chicks, gold finches and mistle thrushes, wonderful evening sounds in Sydenham Hill Woods, a fox went into the entrance in Low Cross Wood Lane - we heard Cubs calling, first time I've seen a fox in the woods, spent almost all day walking, cold but lovely. 



The next day i went to see the motor 'racing' at Crytsal Palace, they were racing against the 
clock not other cars. Which would have been exciting but too dangerous I suppose. I was 
curious to see how they would do this, as the old track has gone as far as I know, but there were some hairpin bends and lots if burning rubber smells and screeching tyres. The, mostly male, drivers certain,y Kok it all very seriously. I remember the sound of the races here when I was a child, and like to imagine Niki Lauder and James Hunt racing in formula 3 cars here, as depicted quite vividly in the film Rush.


No comments:

Post a Comment