Sunday 16 November 2014

Shaggy-Scalycap: Pholiota squarrosa

While running round the back of Tooting Bec common this afternoon I saw a magnificent, large, dense, crop of Shaggy-Scalycap: Pholiota squarrosa , growing as it does, beneath the trunk of an old but living (beech) tree. I didn't have a camera or phone on me so the image below is pilfered and digitally doctored. The yellowness is exaggerated here, but it was still very striking :


This is a very flat and muddy run compared to Streatham Common and Norwood Grove, but makes a change every now and then. The Shaggy-Scalycaps were on the Clapham side by a very muddy little stream parallel to the railway line, as shown above.  Map my Ride says "This is a 6.81 km route in . The route has a total ascent of 33.84 m and has a maximum elevation of 48.05 m".
It's a useful tool if you remember to click off the bit that automatically sticks to roads. My quickest Streatham Common run has a total ascent of 52.23 m and a maximum elevation of  73.9 m, it's about 5k but can easily be extended. The run to Sydenham Hill Woods is a lot steeper, with a number of significant hill climbs, I'll map- that next time I run it.


No comments:

Post a Comment