Monday 20 October 2014

Chlorophyllum rhacodes? Young Shaggy Parasol

Spotted this in Norwood Grove today, could it be a Young Shaggy Parasol, Chlorophyllum rhacodes ? It was under a conifer at the top of the field, which fits, It also has pale brown scales, it does not have the snakeskin stem of a regular parasol. I didn't disturb it but apparently when you cut one the gills turn from a cream colour to orange red, should smell sweet, but I forgot to give it a sniff! If it's still there next tomorrow I will do so...it hasn't got visible gills yet. maybe they will appear over night. if it isn't a shaggy parasol then my second guess is a Mosaic Puffball, but it doesn't really fit the bill. I also saw a beautiful pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers in the same field, and what I think were Shrooms, Psilocybe semilanceata, AKA Magic Mushrooms,  in the field opposite the gate house, Drawing below:




There are lots of tiny fungi on the common at the moment but I find them very hard to identify..I'll try to remember to smell them and maybe get spore prints in future.
 "Shaggy Parasol produces very pale cream spores while Agaricus species produce dark brown or purplish-brown spores." according to First Nature .com, who also say it can be confused with Agaricus augustus, commonly known as The Prince, but I feel fairly confident about this now. The texture and shape are not like Agaricus augustus, which looks smoother, in photos at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment